DIY Car Engine Service – How’s It Done?
Are you a do-it-yourself kind of person? Are you looking for a way to save some money on car repairs? If so, then you should consider servicing your car engine. It’s not that tough, and it can save you a lot of money.
This post will walk you through the steps involved in DIY engine service. We’ll explain what needs to be done, and we’ll give you some tips on how to do it safely and efficiently so that you can service your car engine with confidence! Read on for all the details.
When servicing your car engine, always be aware of the dangers involved.
- Put on safety glasses and gloves before beginning.
- Also, ensure the area you’re working in is well-ventilated.
- Never work on your engine when it’s hot – allow it to cool down first.
- Engine servicing can be dangerous if not done correctly, so always use caution when working on your car.
Change the Oil & Filter
When you service your car’s engine, the first thing you do is change the oil and filter. This is a simple process that can be done with common tools that you may have around the house. The steps are as follows:
- Loosen the drain plug on the oil pan and allow the old oil to drain out.
- Tighten the drain plug on the oil pan.
- Remove the old filter and replace it with a new one.
- Fill the engine with new oil, making sure to follow the recommended weight and type as specified in your owner’s manual.
- Start the engine and see if there are any leaks.
- That’s it.
Change the Spark Plugs
The next step is to change the spark plugs. This is a more involved process and may require special tools, so it’s best to leave this job to a professional mechanic. However, if you’re feeling adventurous and want to try it yourself, here are the steps:
- Remove the spark plug wires.
- Remove the spark plugs.
- Inspect the electrodes on the spark plugs and clean them if necessary.
- Replace the spark plugs and reconnect the wires.
- Start the engine.
- Ensure the engine is not making any strange or abnormal noises.
- You should now check if the engine is running any smoother than before.
Change the Air Filter
The air filter is another part that should be routinely serviced. A dirty air filter can cause decreased performance and increased fuel consumption. Here are the steps to change the air filter:
- Remove the air filter cover.
- Remove the old air filter.
- Install a new air filter.
- Replace the cover.
- Start the engine and check for proper performance.
- Ensure the engine is running smoothly.
If you’re not comfortable performing these tasks yourself, or if something doesn’t seem right, it’s always best to take your car to certified car technicians. They will be able to diagnose and fix the issue properly.
Our dealership service center at Toyota of Newnan, serving Moreland, GA, takes pride in servicing all types of cars with care and professionalism. We’re here to help you keep your vehicle running like new, so please don’t hesitate to connect with us. Schedule an appointment now.